“You learn more from failure than from success. Don’t let it stop you. Failure builds character.” – Unknown
Hey Lovely People,
I’ve decided to start a new trend (well maybe it’s not that new, but I’ve decided to start doing it on my blog ). It’s called “What can I do to help Wednesdays”. So basically every Wednesday I will focus In on a specific Mental Health illness; and provide multiple ways on how you can offer support and guidance to a friend, family member or even a coworker who maybe struggling with a Mental Illnesses.
This weeks focus is DEPRESSION. It’s something so common yet many of us do not know how to provide support to someone who is struggling with it. — let’s begin!
Week One Depression: When someone close to you is depressed, offering support can feel tricky if you don’t know what the person needs. the tips provided below will gear you in the right direction when trying to help.
1. Educate Yourself About Depression and Other Mood Disorders: Not totally sure what depression is or what it means for your friend? A really great first step in helping your friend is to find out more about depression – which will help you better understand what they’re going through.
2. Ask Questions and Dig for the Root Cause:
3. Help Them Identify and Cope With Sources of Stress
4. Encourage Them to Seek Out a Support Group: If your friend has already seen a Psychologist or mental health professional, that’s awesome. You could let them know there are also online and email counselling services. You could also recommend
5. Remind Them That They’re Incredibly Strong
6. Make Them Smile, Because Laughter Helps and Heals:
7. Don’t for a minute think that you are aware of what they are going through and that you understand how they feel.
8. If You Do Only One Thing, Let It Be Listening: Sometimes all a person really wants is for someone to listen to them. No judgments, speculations, interjections JUST LISTEN.
The above ways are things a family member or friend can do to help motivate a loved one if they are suffering from depression. Please feel free to share this post if you feel it will help someone in need!
Peace and Love